Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Take Up the Cross

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Mark 8:34

The cross that God calls me to carry has many different shapes. I may have to be content with my work in a limited area of service, even when I feel God is calling me for greater work. I may be asked by God to nurture kind and loving thoughts about the person who has wronged me, frustrated me, hurt me.... speaking kindly, take his/her side when others oppose him/her, giving comfort. Not easy...this grace and humility thing. I may have to openly share God's word to those who really don't care or believe. I may be called to embrace each day with a smiling face while my heart is breaking.

Each cross is heavy and painful. None I choose. They have been given to me. Jesus is with me when I lay my cross on my shoulder. I must be patient with an uncomplaining spirit or NO WHINING as my friend's son would say. I don't carry my cross well. I must be truly submissive. I must live into my cross, trusting that Jesus is near carrying my burdens with me. I can't do it alone. Carrying my cross with Jesus makes any burden bearable,deepens my commitment, matures my faith and brings me closer to my resurrection.

My climb up Calvary is difficult and painful. Through this though, the sweet fruits of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control will be poured into my soul through the cross of Jesus . "With every cross there is a resurrection" and I trust the growth that is occurring will enable me to be of greater use to others.

Namaste,
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment