Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

My Rosary

"Loving Jesus with the heart of Mary."
Mother Teresa


October is the month of the Rosary, which resonates with Roman Catholics everywhere. October 7th is the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. Developed in the West, it is a typically meditative prayer, corresponding in some way to the “prayer of the heart” or “Jesus prayer” which took root in the soil of the Christian East.

The rosary is a prayer tradition that I have had in my life since I was in elementary school. I learned the rosary in second grade during the time I made my First Holy Communion, as it is called in the Roman Catholic Church. I do prefer how one participates in the Eucharist in the Episcopal Church. (This is clearly a post for another time because I have alot to say about the Eucharist) Anyway...

My rosary beads are purple plastic. A treasure. Now, I have some others that also have special meaning. I have some from my mom and grandmother, which have crystal beads, a few that have been blessed by the Pope John Paul II and a rosary chaplet from my sister. I keep a pair in my glove box in my car, one is in a special box in my family room, one next to my "prayer chair" in my sun room and my purple plastic ones are always in my pocket. If I do not have a pocket they are in my purse. These purple plastic rosary beads are my most treasured possession.

Initially, the purple plastic rosary beads were given to me when I made my First Communion in second grade. I lost them for some time last year and they found their way back to me, in a very special, very divine way. A God moment or God-incidence as my friend says.

I learned how to pray the rosary at this time and have prayed it since.... my sacred lullaby, an end to the gift of each day. There are times I meditate on the mysteries, times I pray the Hail Mary's and The Lord's Prayer and meditate on the intercessions I am praying at that time. I often drift into a contemplative state and sometimes I feel transported to the foot of the Cross, standing beside Mary, witnessing my Savior bearing the weight of my sin. Sometimes I get insight into the meaning of Scripture as it applies to my life. Other times I get a warm glow through my entire body. I would like to think this is the Holy Spirit.

I love what I call my rosary walks, walks with my dogs when I prayer-walk the rosary. I love being on my bike and praying the rosary. There is something about the meditation and the physical rhythm that is both soothing and opens my listening heart to the Spirit, just being in, resting in, breathing in presence, and at times, being deeply joined to what I feel is Mary's side. A moment of grace being molded to the mansions of my soul, until Christ is "fully formed" in me. (Galatians 4:19)

This rhythm transcends my soul deeper to a union with Mary and our Beloved Lord. The rosary invites us to do, as Mary did at the Annunciation: to ask humbly the questions which open us to the light, in order to end with the obedience of faith: “Behold I am the handmaid of the Lord; be it done to me according to your word (Luke 1:38)."-

I think of praying the rosary as meditative gift I give myself.

This prayer does not conflict with the Liturgy of the Episcopal Church that I love. It sustains it. It is only in the mystery of the Word made flesh that the mystery of man is seen in its true light. The Rosary helps to open up the way to this light, an intentional commitment to the contemplation of the Christian mystery. Mary's obedience to God and closeness to Jesus made her holy. Our nearness to Jesus makes us Holy.

I know I am devoted to the Blessed Mother. Her story has brought me closer to Jesus. It is her heart that I long for in this very Martha world.

Namaste'
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment