Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Grieving Lisa

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you will see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."
The Prophet


Two years ago today, my friend Lisa died from stage 4 metastasized breast cancer.

I had no idea that today I would be revisiting grief as strongly as I am. It is as if my body physically remembers every emotion and physical response I had to Lisa's death in the days and nights leading up to her passing as we cared for her.

The last week of Lisa's life was such a gift from her to me. Lisa put me together with two other women, dear friends, to care for her in her final days. The bond that the three of us formed is such a blessing and a gift from Lisa.

I heard in a sermon once that grief is the privilege of having loved.

I loved my friend and I miss her.

The minutes leading up to Lisa's death are so fresh in my mind today. I can still feel that moment and the sacred presence in her room. I can still see her eyes open one last time and the clarity in those beautiful blue eyes meeting mine, knowing it was good-bye and to gather her children and husband.

Lisa's final journey to life eternal began right after Thanksgivng that year during Advent. The Advent Vigil was Lisa's Vigil that December. We all were waiting with her for the light, the light of Christ to bring her home. As I think of what each candle of the Advent wreath means and our prayers each week, I look back to two years ago and yes,for my friend, HOPE was always present. HOPE for healing and for guidance to let go. PEACE was always present. God was never absent from Lisa on her journey He was preparing her for something new, life eternal and that peace that passes all understanding. This was so beautiful to watch unfold during her final hours.It was as if she became peace of pure spirit. JOY was always present. Through sadness there was JOY. JOY that with Lisa's passing she is with God in heaven and all her questions are answered. LOVE was always present. The candle of LOVE signifies the love of God that surrounds and fills us at all times. There is no greater power than love. We love because God loves us. It is because of this LOVE that Lisa was able to see the light of Christ coming into the world to take her home.

Our entire lives are a Vigil. We are always watching and waiting and when our hearts join with the heart of God we become joined together with HOPE, PEACE, JOY, and LOVE for all eternity.

I will always miss Lisa, especially during this time of year. The many joys of the many years of our friendship will always make me laugh and smile, the greatest JOY though has been the privilege of waiting with her for the hand of God to reach for her and bring her into new light.

Namaste'
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment