Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Heavenly Hope: Advent Day 5 & 6

Advent Day 5 & 6
Daily Office readings: Isaiah 2:5-22, 1 Thessalonians 3:1-3, Luke 20:27-40
Isaiah 3:1-4;1,1 Thessalonians 4:1-12,Luke 20:41-21:4

Hope. Heavenly Hope that Christ will come again.

When I was thinking about Advent this year, I prayed and knew God was asking me to me more intentional about my Advent journey. So I began. I instinctively began waking earlier than usual, giving me time to just be. I come downstairs in the quiet of the night and I am still. I sit, I pray, I read the daily readings and I wait.

It seemed like the moment I began focusing on what the spiritual experience of Advent could be for me, Bethlehem became like a mirage shimmering across the desert, beckoning, tantalizing, then vanishing. Ok, then God, what's up?

I sit and I wait, the light of the sunrise peaks above the mountain a bit more. I know there is more to come from this morning light.

Advent is so much more that Bethlehem. "Christ will come again". This is the part of the Advent story that gets lost in the cookies and misletoe. Our life with Jesus begins in Bethlehem and is a journey with him to eternity. The central issue is what we believe about Jesus. Do you really believe that Jesus is who He said He is? or are you confused about His identity like the Sadducees and Pharaisees in these readings? Luke reminds us about the resurrection.

Take heart. I think we need to grow into the light, just like my Advent sunrises that begin with a feeble light peeking near the horizon. It is just enough to reassure my soul as the day dawns to watch and wait. At this point Bethlehem should be a mirage. Bethlehem will reveal itself to me as I continue my journey and walk the road to Bethlehem each day, enkindling in my spirit the light of heavenly hope
that "Christ will come again."


Namaste'
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment