Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Little Church on the Hill

What a wonderful evening.

I drove out to Winchester with a dear friend to a small church for their 5pm service. It was lovely. It felt like going home for Thanksgiving dinner. Welcoming, comfortable , like I was never away. I have never worshipped here. There was an intimacy that was so inviting. God is everywhere.

I think for me one of the gifts of this evening was I was able to worship 100% and not think about anything else. Now, please don't misunderstand, I love, love , love my home parish. I do though think about all the stuff each Sunday to make sure that things are ok for everyone there. That is probably why when I am not the verger I like to stay for the additional service to worship. That is why I get to church early for the 9am service as the praise band rehearses and I review the slides. It is a prayerful time for me. I experience the church differently as the morning builds....God and me...God, me and the band....God , me, the band and the Rector...God, me, the band, the Rector, the congregation...the energy builds, the Holy Spirit is with us and it is awesome.

Tonight though, I was able to just worship. I could sit quietly before service and breathe in the breath of God. There is an amazing cross suspended above the altar. Powerful. The simplicity of the piano music alone created a prayerful exchange of hymns embracing the small congregation. Singing is not my gift, yet tonight I found myself singing joyfully to the Lord. Oh, and they may be starting a Celtic service....

Thank you, to the little church on the hill.

Namaste,
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment